Be prepared for the paperwork.

I’m often asked: “What will the City of Austin require to build my home?”

Here’s your checklist:

  • A building permit (to get that, you’ll need a set of plans stamped by a draftsman or an architect). You can see the building application form here: City of Austin Residential Construction Application
  • An owner’s authorization letter.
  • A demolition permit if applicable, which includes a Certified Tax Certificate.
  • An Electrical Service Plan Application (ESPA) permit. (How much demand for electricity will your house create?)
  • A tree permit, formally known as a Tree Ordinance Review Application (if applicable).
  • An historic review (if applicable).
  • Structural plans stamped by a licensed engineer.